On the eve of Valentine’s Day, the Interim Leaders for the MH Primary Care Network had more than chocolates and flowers on their minds… this was an important evening for decision-making about the organization’s new governance structure, membership criteria, and leadership election process (Feb – Mar). We will be announcing the formally elected leaders at our next Community Meeting on Tuesday, March 31st, so please come join us!
To access the full meeting presentation, please click on the following link:
At this meeting, a number of key decisions were made to help the organization get established enough to hold formal leadership elections, including:
- Selected a Board of Directors as our governance structure: We selected a Board of Directors as the most appropriate governance structure for the organization based on our need to be representative across the diversity of primary care physicians in Mississauga and Halton, including different payment models and geographies. The Board would consist of one Board Chair and up to 14 Board Members, with the possibility of a Board-appointed Executive Committee (either within the Board or hired staff at a later date) to oversee day-to-day operations. Descriptions of these positions can be found at this link: Leadership Descriptions
- Not incorporating at this point in time: We decided by a close majority vote that we will not incorporate at this point in time. The decision will be revisited as needed by the Board as the organizations grows and matures (a table summarizing elements of non-incorporated versus incorporated organizations was presented and discussed; this table can be accessed in the meeting presentation)
- Representing only primary care physicians at this early stage: Although it was a close majority vote, it was decided that the organization would represent the collective voice of primary care physicians only (as a representative group is currently lacking), but may expand its scope to other providers at a later time
- All 1000+ primary care physicians in Mississauga and Halton are considered members: By including all primary care physicians within our geography to be “general members,” everyone can vote in the inaugural leadership election! There was rich discussion about many aspects of membership, including the possibility of implementing tiered membership and dues at a later point to carry out critical network activities. Once the newly elected leadership is in place, these and other decisions will be finalized.
Now you’re probably wondering how the leadership application and voting process will work, right? Because you’re thinking these are exciting times for primary care to be getting organized, right? If you think this opportunity is a good fit for you, click here to complete the Leadership Application!
- Applications will be accepted from Tuesday, February 25th at 9:00 AM to Monday, March 9th at 12:00 PM (noon)
- The inaugural MH PCN leadership election will take place between Tuesday, March 10th at 9:00 AM and Wednesday, March 25th at 5:00 PM (a link to the voting site will be posted on the MH PCN website shortly)
- All primary care physicians within the MH LHIN geographic boundary are eligible to apply for leadership positions, as well as vote in the first MH PCN election
If you have any questions or comments, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org